Social networking is a viable medium to connect with people across the globe. Therefore, you can use Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn as a tool to widen your network. Many people are using these social networking tools to find new jobs to build their career.
But you should be aware that these social networking tools have certain benefits as well as drawbacks. Before employing these tools to look for new employment, make sure that you are aware of the advantages and disadvantages of online social networking.
Here are a few benefits as well as drawbacks of online social networking:
1. Online social network helps to widen the network and opens an avenue for better opportunity. When you tweet that you are looking for a job, then you can probably notify hundreds of job search helpers. People you follow on tweeter usually have a wide network of their own. Therefore, when you tweet, your message is communicated to your friend’s friends on the follower list. This will help you provide a scope to find a job faster.
2. Your potential employers can locate you through professional social networking sites like LinkedIn. These employers can review your activity on the sites and tell you where your interest lies. If the potential employers understand your knowledge and passion in the field, then they can take the interview process to the next step. Make sure while providing information on your profile try to specify the type of job you are looking for in your chosen field.
3. You can easily contact with different people and start communicating with them. You can inform the job search helpers for the type of job you are looking for. Through proper communication you can get information on interviewing, resumes or cover letters. These job search helpers can give you advice on different process for finding a job.
1. When you use your social networking sites to look for a job, then ensure that your profile provides a proper image to the viewers. Try to untag or remove embarrassing photos from your profile. Make sure that you remove controversial comments from your status updates. Try to provide professional impression to the viewers.
2. If you are currently employed, then using social networking tools while looking for a new job can complicate your situation. Therefore, you are required to be careful while searching for jobs on these sites when you are working. If your current employers find that you are looking for a job, then you might lose your current job.
~ Image source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/deanmeyers/